Sunday 8 February 2009

F Minus

"Actually Officer, I'm pretty sure you can't arrest a baby for reckless driving so...we'll just be on our way." These words have gotten me out of so many tight situations, because whenever I say them, no one knows how to react. That's because they are in awe after hearing a line from one of the greatest comics ever. Now, as an educated girl interested in what's going on in the world. I read the newspaper every day. Of course, when I say I read the newspaper, I mean I read the Comic strips (and Ask Amy...but we'll save that for another day). Between the every day teenage drama in Luann and Jeremy's lives, the shenanigans pulled by young scamps Curtis and Ruthie, the struggles of the modern working woman that are reflected in Cathy and Sally Forth, and the heartwarming peeks into raising children that can be found in Family Circus...few comics actually make me laugh. But F Minus, which was introduced fairly recently to the Baltimore Sun's repertoire, consistently makes me laugh out loud (not to be confused with "lol-ing", or "lawling", because neither of these actually involve the lawler to actually laugh). It's situated at the bottom of the page, because clearly the editor knows to save the best for last.
The artist uses very few lines to create the scenery and facial expressions, yet he captures them perfectly, portraying his quirky situations and proving that he is a genius with just one stroke of the pen. Once the Baltimore Sun sent out a survey asking how important the comics were to you and if you would stop reading them or read them more if certain comics were added removed. I filled out 30 saying I would cancel my subscription to the Sun if F Minus was removed, which is 100% true because that paper is crap and the comics are the only redeeming quality, so if they weren't even good, what's the point? If you've never read F Minus, you can browse their archives to catch up on what you've missed, but be careful not to read too many at once. They're like savory chocolates, and you don't want to spoil your appetite for them.



-K

No comments: