Thursday 4 December 2008

Pen Pals

I know I say everything I write about here is my favorite thing ever but this is really something that keeps me happy! My pen pal. She only lives about an hour and a half away but that is still too far to see each other enough. True there are more modern things like facebook and email, which we still use to keep in touch with, but nothing beats the joy of receiving something personal in the mail. Every time I get a new letter I shout "Victory" and run in circles. Something about mail just makes me happier than seeing a new email in my inbox or a red box on my facebook. It takes about a week or two to write a letter. We detail each day, what we did, who we spoke to, and everything in between. The pages are covered with crayon drawings. I write every night no matter how late it is or how tired I am. It's worth the late nights because you know there will be a letter in your mailbox back in a few weeks. Our letters are often 10 pages front and back or more and reading them only takes a few minutes despite the hours put into writing it. It's easy to have a pen pal. It could be a friend that lives far away or your next door neighbor. Now I wish I had a friend living next door so I could write to them. If you have no friends to write to try writing to yourself. Send the letter out like a normal letter so you can still experience the thrill of getting mail. Once I sent myself a good luck card before an audition and I did very well at the audition so what could be wrong with sending mail to yourself? Confucious once said, "Get yourself a pen pal and you will find infinate happiness." He could not have been more correct.

-A

No comments: